It was actually quite good. The singers were French but pronounced the English lyrics clearly. (Though river came out more like REe-vah). The harmonies were quite beautiful with lots of syncopation. And the program was surprisingly varied, from spirituals to My Fair Lady. A question for my musical friends: are there published arrangements for 4 part harmony for many songs, or did the musicians do their own arranging?
This was the program. The “intervention parlee” was a French lady explaining at great length the origins of the barbershop quartet and the lyrics to the songs. Typically French to intellectualize a pop concert.
1. The sunshine of your smile
A. Intervention parlée 1
2. Moon River
3. Because (Teschemacher et Hardelot) 4. Lucky old sun
5. Ain’t we got fun
B. Intervention parlée 2
6. Basin Street 7. Lullaby 8. Swanee
C. Intervention parlée 3
9. Love me, and the world is mine
10. Somewhere over the rainbow
11. On the streets where you live (My Fair Lady)
D. Intervention parlée 4
13. Surfer Girl (Beach Boys) 14. Hello Mary Lou